KMotionCNC forgetting settings

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

amowry

KMotionCNC forgetting settings

Post by amowry » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 pm

About once or twice a year, KMotionCNC loses all its settings, and I have to go through and set it all up again. It doesn't correspond to a Windows update, and restoring Windows to a previous restore point doesn't fix it. It's working fine one day, and then the next morning when I power up the PC, all settings are gone. Do you have any ideas about why this might happen? Thanks!

amowry

Re: KMotionCNC forgetting settings

Post by amowry » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Also, is there a configuration file that I could just save and then replace when this happens, or is it necessary to re-enter the settings manually?

amowry

Post by amowry » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:49 pm

I just found the GCodeConfigCNC.txt file, and replacing that with an old backup copy restored all the settings successfully, which is great. For some reason, that file seems to occasionally have all its settings reverted to the defaults (?). The Windows modification date for that file was several days before the problem occurred.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi amowry,

KMotionCNC Settings are saved in:

\KMotion\Data\GCodeConfigCNC.txt

What Version are you using? Some time ago a backup file:

\KMotion\Data\GCodeConfigCNC.txt.bak

Is also maintained and if the previous is invalid you will automatically be prompted to use the backup.

Turning off power on a PC without a proper shutdown can cause files to get corrupted.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

amowry

Post by amowry » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:05 pm

Okay, thanks Tom! My version is a few updates old-- I haven't upgraded because I've been nervous about messing up my KMotion.exe setup, but I guess I should do that.