KMotion versions vs. Firmware versions

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

SamMarrocco

KMotion versions vs. Firmware versions

Post by SamMarrocco » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:17 pm

When updating a KFlop, must the version of the KMotion software match the version of firmware currently in the KFlop when updating to newer firmware? Realizing that the firmware coff file is specific in each installation of the KMotion software, for example:

If updating a KFlop that currently contains firmware shipped with KMotion 4.3, must the KMotion 4.3 be used to update to Firmware 5.3 (assuming you point it to the correct new firmware file)?

or

Can KMotion 5.3 be used to update the KFlop that currently is loaded with 4.3 to bring it up to 5.3 firmware?

Moray

Re: KMotion versions vs. Firmware versions

Post by Moray » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:04 am

AFAIK the KMotion install, will always come packaged with the current firmware for that version of KMotion.

And any version of KMotion (or at least any version compatible with whatever board that you are using) can flash any version of compatible firmware to the board.

So in short, you can use 5.3.1 to update a KFlop that contains an older version.

SamMarrocco

Post by SamMarrocco » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:31 am

Understood, which is what I would have thought.
I was unable to use a newest 5.3 KMotion to apply it's included firmware to a previous versioned 4.3 firmware KFlop.
I was able to use the previous version of 4.3 KMotion to flash the newer 5.3 firmware to the KFlop with the older 4.3 version already on it.

SamMarrocco

Post by SamMarrocco » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:20 am

Just to close up this thread, it sounds like this is indeed an issue. Tom is aware of it (See Issue #1 in this forum thread):
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1708&e=1&view=unread#p6929