KMotion 5.3.1 install on Windows 11 USB Driver issue?

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

SamMarrocco

KMotion 5.3.1 install on Windows 11 USB Driver issue?

Post by SamMarrocco » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:20 pm

I recently moved from my old Windows 10 machine to a new Windows 11 Pro 64 bit machine. I decided to migrate my apps over from KMotion 4.3x to the new KMotion 5.3.1 since I was already doing a fresh install of the OS. Along the way, I'll migrate my existing Visual Studio 2019 code to the most current 2022.

In the past, the unsigned drivers were able to be installed manually (in the windows 'allow unsigned driver installations' mode.
As I understand it, all the new drivers are signed and (I assume) are installed automatically with KM5.3.1's installer. The "Quick Install" indicates that the 'New Hardware Wizard' should appear when the KFlop is connected to the USB of the PC.

I've installed KM 5.3.1, rebooted, then plugged in the KFlop. I see no indication that a driver wishes to be installed; no popups, notidications, wizards.
Checking the Windows Device Manager, the device "KFLOP - Motion Controller 4.x.x" appears with a yellow exclamation mark under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". I attempted to automatically and manually update it's driver, which displays "The best drivers for your device are already installed KFLOP - Motion Contoller 4.x.x". It seems as though my USB Drivers are not being installed?

Or, am I overlooking a step in the install process with the new 5.3.1?

TomKerekes

Re: KMotion 5.3.1 install on Windows 11 USB Driver issue?

Post by TomKerekes » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:38 am

Hi Sam,

You might use Device Manager, Right Click, Update Driver, Browse, Navigate to \KMotion5.3.1\USB Driver.

There may also be this issue:
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

SamMarrocco

Post by SamMarrocco » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:29 am

Hello Tom,
I attempted to do as you suggested, after booting to allow unsigned drivers. The USB Driver (oem30.inf (dynobus.inf)) installs, but when the KFlop is plugged in, the KFlop driver (KFLOP-Motion Controller 4.XX) pops up there with a yellow exclamation sign on it. Any attempt to update *that* driver results in a Windows dialog of "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed."

I would have thought that the new signed drivers would have cured all this but apparently that is not so.
Having spent quite a bit of time on this, here is what I can determine:

Assuming that the drivers in the KMotion 5.3.1 are signed (as the release note implied), Windows 11 does not believe that to be the case judging from indirect evidence of dialogs and error messages. I attempted to boot into the startup mode that allows unsigned drivers, and it appeared to work the next time the KFlop was plugged in, but then an error dialog appears every time the driver is 'activated' (kflop plugged in or machine boots) stating:

"A driver cannot load on this device:
Driver ftdibus.sys
ftdibus.sys
A security setting is preventing this driver from loading. You'll need to adjust your settings to load this driver."

Further reading shows some commonality with the issue (which you referenced in the post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1636&p=6414

Unfortunately, this has it's own set of side effects. Disabling the "Core Isolation Details/Memory Integrity" setting to OFF works, then allows a reboot of the system and the KFlop's USB Driver loads successfully. However, any later attempts to Enable Memory Integrity afterwards fail, as the option is 'grayed out' and unchangeable, leading to error messages stating that there are faulty drivers that must be removed before that can be done. I then removed the USB driver manually from the devices list, and was then able to restore my memory integrity setting to the default state of ON.

I read your reply about suggesting the Kogna, and that the re-creation of drivers is a not in the plan. As annoying as the USB Drivers have been, I'm a bit hesitant to port all my existing code from the KFlop to the Kogna suspecting that it will hardly be "drag and drop", despite the positive side of eliminating the USB driver once and for all and finally migrating to VS2022.

So at this point, are we confident is saying that the KMotion's USB drivers, and by inference, the KFLOP, cannot be used in a Windows 11 machine *unless* Memory Integrity protection is Disabled so that the USB Drivers can be installed and run? Do you know of or have you yourself successfully installed it on Windows 11 (23H2)?

I appreciate any insights you can provide so that I can then evaluate how best to proceed.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:59 pm

Hi Sam,
Assuming that the drivers in the KMotion 5.3.1 are signed (as the release note implied), Windows 11 does not believe that to be the case judging from indirect evidence of dialogs and error messages.
Our Drivers are signed but don't meet the "Core Isolation Details/Memory Integrity" certification which is something different.

So at this point, are we confident is saying that the KMotion's USB drivers, and by inference, the KFLOP, cannot be used in a Windows 11 machine *unless* Memory Integrity protection is Disabled so that the USB Drivers can be installed and run?
Correct

Do you know of or have you yourself successfully installed it on Windows 11 (23H2)?
no
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

SamMarrocco

Post by SamMarrocco » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info, Tom. I’m going to run with the memory protection off.
What do they say about being a pioneer? You can tell us by the arrows in our backs? :)