Linux Support

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

CNC_Machines

Linux Support

Post by CNC_Machines » Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Greetings,

I have been building CNC machines to automate our factory, 30+ machines so far using KMotionCNC. The ONLY thing that these computers are used for is running Dynomotion. I could save a lot of money and headache with a simple linux version of KMotionCNC.

Will Linux ever be supported? Would be awesome to run a KFlop of a Raspberry pi or something similar.

Thanks!

Scott

TomKerekes

Re: Linux Support

Post by TomKerekes » Sat May 04, 2019 2:56 am

Hi Scott,

Sorry we don't have the resources to also support Linux. How much would you be willing to pay for a Linux Version?

You might look at Par Hansson's Version of KMotionCNC for Linux.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

CNC_Machines

Post by CNC_Machines » Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Tom,

https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Pi-High-S ... 228&sr=8-1

Just dreaming of the day when I can run my favorite CNC controller (Dynomotion) on that guy...

Building 20 more machines this year. Spending $800 for the all in one touch screen computers from dell. So $800 x 20 = $16,000. Probably just peanuts for you guys. Is there a price point that would make sense for you?

Am I the only one asking for something like this? Linux is certainly a lot more robust than windows, I would think there is a significant percentage of the market that would be interested in dumping all of windows bloat wear. Do you suppose those folks are already using Linux CNC? The way I see it, the KFlop is doing all of the heavy lifting and all I need the computer for is to run KMotionCNC and display it on the screen.

Thanks,

Scott

Moray

Post by Moray » Wed May 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Scott, have you considered some of the basic Windows tablets?

If you can manage with capacitive touchscreens (which I'm guessing the Dell AIO's use) then there are some very good options out there for very reasonable prices. I bought a Linx1010 tablet a couple years ago for outdoor events, and I have been very impressed with it, especially as it only cost £180 complete with a detachable keyboard and Win10 Professional.
Linx have discontinued that model, but I've often thought a 12" tablet would be good for a machine control. Linx do currently have the 12x64 model which would tick that box, and it's currently available in the UK for £200.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi Scott,

I think some users have used lattepanda for ~$129 including Windows 10. Although it wasn't clear how it all ended up working. But I assume no news is good news :)

https://www.amazon.com/LattePanda-2G-32 ... MSXD95ZKGP
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

tmday7

Post by tmday7 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:56 pm

TomKerekes wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:56 am

Sorry we don't have the resources to also support Linux. How much would you be willing to pay for a Linux Version?

Hi Tom,
Just some feedback here....If Dynomotion was to make a Linux version, I for one, as an end user for my own machines, would be willing to pay the amount that a license of Windows is currently.

Troy