Detecting Power-on & Diagnostics

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

smartmc

Detecting Power-on & Diagnostics

Post by smartmc » Sun May 08, 2022 12:03 am

Hello,
Is there any way to detect the power-on event on KFLOP; kind of system bit that is automatically set or a function that is automatically called on power-on. This can be used, say, for executing the Init program.
What are the available diagnostic registers/bits to detect malfunctions on KFLOP and the connected boards.
Thanks.

TomKerekes

Re: Detecting Power-on & Diagnostics

Post by TomKerekes » Sun May 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Hi smartmc,

Initialization on power up is not normally necessary or desirable. Usually better to wait for an Operator to reset the system.

Are you flashing programs to KFLOP? We don't normally recommend that.

Any Flashed Programs set to launch on power up will be executed on power up.

Otherwise you can detect a reset by doing something like turning off a KFLOP LED (Bit 46) when the system initialzes. If the LED comes back on there must have been a reset.

Please explain what you are doing and trying to accomplish and we might be able to better help you.

Status from option boards is dependent on the board type. Which option boards do you have and what malfunctions do you expect to detect?
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

smartmc

Post by smartmc » Sun May 08, 2022 9:26 pm

Hi Tom,

I'm trying to detect the power-up to execute initialization and possibly set some other outputs to put the machine in an initial state automatically without operator intervention.
Only C programs to be flashed!

For the diagnostics, on KFLO and Konnect, how to detect that the board is malfunctioning, if an output is defective, etc. to notify the operator, and shut-down the machine in a safe way on such events.

Best regards.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Sun May 08, 2022 9:56 pm

Hi smartmc,
I'm trying to detect the power-up to execute initialization and possibly set some other outputs to put the machine in an initial state automatically without operator intervention.
See my previous response.

Only C programs to be flashed!
I don't understand what you mean by this.

if an output is defective
I don't understand how an output can be defective or how KFLOP could detect this.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

smartmc

Post by smartmc » Mon May 09, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi Tom,
TomKerekes wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:59 pm
Please explain what you are doing and trying to accomplish and we might be able to better help you.
Just purchased KFLOP + Konnect and starting to learn to use it in machine retrofit.
I've been using SIEMENS CNC controllers and PLCs so I'm trying to figure out how to implement the same functionalities with KFLOP.

I became confused about this; from User Manual/C Program "After programs have been developed and tested they may be flashed into memory and run stand alone with no host connection".
Is this not recommended?

"Any Flashed Programs set to launch on power up will be executed on power up".
How do I set a program to launch on power up?

Regards

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon May 09, 2022 3:12 pm

Hi smartmc,
I became confused about this; from User Manual/C Program "After programs have been developed and tested they may be flashed into memory and run stand alone with no host connection".
Is this not recommended?
We don't recommend it when not necessary as it can be confusing as there isn't an easy way to determine the state of the board. Which makes upgrading or replacing boards more difficult.

As I said before most Users find it unnecessary and potentially dangerous to automatically enable the system on power up. Better to wait for an Operator to request it and then this makes flashing unnecessary. See also here.
"Any Flashed Programs set to launch on power up will be executed on power up".
How do I set a program to launch on power up?
Check the launch on power up checkbox before Flashing.

HTH
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.