Probing along axis and probing to make a point cloud

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

boss4

Probing along axis and probing to make a point cloud

Post by boss4 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Hello, I have just installed the latest KmotionCNC and setup the new Probing Screen Set. This is working great but I wanted to add a couple of routines:

1. probing along an axis (X or Y) and in order to determine rotation of a planar face. What I have in mind is determining the X or Y coordinate of the face at regular intervals and then fit a regression line through the points and and produce an angle that can be use in CAD when setting up the CAM.

This seems strait forward enough but is there another way that I can use this? For instance could the coordinate system implemented by Kmotion CNC be rotated to accommodate a misalignment? I think G68 allows for coordinate system rotation would this work

2. The other thing I wanted to do was create a screen and C program for probing in Z to produce a point cloud that could be used to create and STL or similar. I am thinking that someone has already done this but I thought it would be best to ask which example would be the best starting point.

TomKerekes

Re: Probing along axis and probing to make a point cloud

Post by TomKerekes » Tue May 18, 2021 1:20 am

Hi boss,

Regarding rotation: KMotionCNC doesn't support G68 but there is a Geometric Correction mechanism that can apply rotations or transformations. See here and here.

Regarding point cloud you might read this Thread.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.