The spindle as an axis

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Alexanders

The spindle as an axis

Post by Alexanders » Wed May 17, 2023 5:03 pm

On my milling machine, the spindle can operate in Close loop mode with a quadrature signal control and feedback via a quadrature signal.
After reading the help, a few questions remained.

1. Do I need to declare the spindle as an axis in the initialization file? What are the differences from the declaration of the other axes?

2. Which files are from \C Programs\SpindleUsingJogs\... are they better suited as a basis for my spindle configuration?

3. The spindle control files are run via M3, M4 and M5, for example in thread 2.
Is it possible to use other user programs in the same thread? What will happen in this thread when executing M3, M4 or M5? What will happen in the thread after executing these M-codes?

4. Is it possible to control the spindle as an axis through G-codes? For example, turning an angle after completing the rotation? If possible, how?

TomKerekes

Re: The spindle as an axis

Post by TomKerekes » Thu May 18, 2023 2:46 pm

Hi Alexander,
Do I need to declare the spindle as an axis in the initialization file? What are the differences from the declaration of the other axes?
Yes. That would depend on how your other axes are configured.

Which files are from \C Programs\SpindleUsingJogs\... are they better suited as a basis for my spindle configuration?
You might use the V2 files.

The spindle control files are run via M3, M4 and M5, for example in thread 2.
Is it possible to use other user programs in the same thread? What will happen in this thread when executing M3, M4 or M5? What will happen in the thread after executing these M-codes?
The rule is that only one program can be executing in a Thread at a time. Once the program finishes the Thread can be used for a different Program. See here.

Is it possible to control the spindle as an axis through G-codes? For example, turning an angle after completing the rotation? If possible, how?
Yes. You might create 2 MCodes. One that does not include the Spindle Axis into the Coordinated Motion System so it can operate as a normal Spindle. The other includes it in the Coordinated Motion System as the A Axis so it can be positioned as the A axis in GCode. How well it works will depend on your Spindle and Spindle Controller.

The first step would be to configure an Axis as an open loop Step/Dir Output mode in Quadrature output drive to see if you can Jog it at your required speeds and move it with your required accuracy and stiffness. Then verify the quadrature encoder feedback is working. Then change to Closed Loop Step/Dir Output mode.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Alexanders

Post by Alexanders » Thu May 18, 2023 4:34 pm

You might create 2 MCodes. One that does not include the Spindle Axis into the Coordinated Motion System so it can operate as a normal Spindle. The other includes it in the Coordinated Motion System as the A Axis so it can be positioned as the A axis in GCode.
I didn't understand how to implement it.
In the first case, I use the M code as from the examples \SpindleUsingJogs, right?
Can you give examples of the M code for activating coordinated movement? For example, I am interested in switching to positioning mode and removing the boring cutter after boring. And rigid threading.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Fri May 19, 2023 3:04 am

Hi Alexander,
In the first case, I use the M code as from the examples \SpindleUsingJogs, right?
yes. Those MCodes can be left configured they should just not be used when operating as an axis.

Can you give examples of the M code for activating coordinated movement?
You might use User MCodes M100 and M101 to do this. See this Thread.

I am interested in switching to positioning mode and removing the boring cutter after boring.
I don't understand this.

And rigid threading.
Threading would be performed in normal Spindle Mode.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.