Interfacing Kflop with Blender

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

cyprian21

Interfacing Kflop with Blender

Post by cyprian21 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Good day,

I am wondering if anyone has attempted to interface the kflop motion controller with Blender which is a free and open source 3D creation suite, https://www.blender.org/.

Below is an example of how someone managed to interface Blender and an Arduino to control a robotic arm in real-time by calculating its Inverse Kinematics angles from the model.

A python script enables real-time control of a robotic arm in Blender. It works by reading angles from the arm's armature and sending them through the serial port to an arduino controlling the physical arm.

This can be seen here:
http://www.alvaroferran.com/projects/blender-controller

Now, I do not necessarily want real-time control but it would be neat to export said Inverse Kinematics angles from the model and run them on the kflop so the motor performs the motion of the 3d model.

Instead of an Arduino, I would like to do something similar with the kflop.

I already control my cnc mill with a kflop and would like to buy more kflop boards to experiment.

Would anyone have any feedback or thoughts on how to approach something like this?

Kindly,
Cyprian

TomKerekes

Re: Interfacing Kflop with Blender

Post by TomKerekes » Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi Cyprian,

That sounds interesting. I'm not aware of anyone interfacing KFLOP to Blender.

I didn't see any Kinematics. It seems the Blender link angles were simply being sent directly to the motor axes.

I'm not familiar with Blender Scripts or Code, but assuming it can be made to make an external call to a dll it shouldn't be very difficult. Usually a KFLOP MoveExp call works well in a situation where a motor axis should be attempting to follow a randomly changing target position.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.