Mazak VQC 15/40 Spindle Speed

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Peter

Mazak VQC 15/40 Spindle Speed

Post by Peter » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:06 am

Hello,

I'm working on figuring out all of the pins that I need to connect on my mill, and I came across the spindle speed control which I don't really understand. It says it's 10V max which is nice since it can plug directly onto a Kanalog DAC pin. I've removed the Numerical Control(NC) unit. The TU is just a box that routes individual wires between different cables. I'll be connecting to the CND5-4(SE1), and CND5-5(SE2) wires.

Should I connect the CND5-5(SE2) wire to ground, and connect the CND5-4(SE1) pin to a DAC pin?

The Kanalog HW specifications webpage says +/-10V at 10mA. I can't find anything that says how much current the spindle controller uses. Should I put a follower op-amp in between the the DAC pin, and the spindle controller just to be safe? If it won't damage the Kanalog DAC pin I don't mind trying it directly, and then adding the op-amp later if it doesn't work.

For the solid state relays(SSR) I've seen other posts on here where it was suggested to just try 5V to drive them. It looks like the SSR gates are driven directly from the old NC unit on my machine. Is it a pretty safe bet that these old controllers were driving those gates with 5V and not 3.3V? The machine is down so I can't test them.

Thanks,
Peter
Attachments
Mazak Spindle Speed.jpg

TomKerekes

Re: Mazak VQC 15/40 Spindle Speed

Post by TomKerekes » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:48 pm

Should I connect the CND5-5(SE2) wire to ground, and connect the CND5-4(SE1) pin to a DAC pin?
Seems correct

The Kanalog HW specifications webpage says +/-10V at 10mA. I can't find anything that says how much current the spindle controller uses. Should I put a follower op-amp in between the the DAC pin, and the spindle controller just to be safe? If it won't damage the Kanalog DAC pin I don't mind trying it directly, and then adding the op-amp later if it doesn't work.
It would be very unusual for an analog input to need more than 10ma. Kanalog analog outputs are very robust and have short circuit protection (one at a time).

For the solid state relays(SSR) I've seen other posts on here where it was suggested to just try 5V to drive them. It looks like the SSR gates are driven directly from the old NC unit on my machine. Is it a pretty safe bet that these old controllers were driving those gates with 5V and not 3.3V? The machine is down so I can't test them.
Hard to say. Another option would be to use Kanalog Opto Outputs to apply 5V or other voltage.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:57 pm

Thanks Tom,

I've made a little progress on labeling all the wires I need to connect to on the mill, but I'm not going to be around my shop for the next week or so for Christmas so I was doing a little research on rotary tables.

What I'd really like is a 5 axis mill, but I'm having a hard time finding a trunnion/rotary table that has good documentation for the electrical plugs and signals. The style that I like is a Haas TR110. Being supported on both ends, and fairly short should make it pretty stiff. From what I've seen on forums like the practical machinist is that Haas is not very forthcoming with their documentation. If it was cheap I'd just buy one, and try to figure it out, but $12k for something I might ruin with incorrect voltages or reverse polarity is a little too risky for me. I asked both of the people on ebay that are selling TR110s, and they said they don't have any electrical schematics for them. The guy that has the table in china hasn't responded.

I'm wondering if anybody here knows of a manufacturer that provides good documentation with their tables? Adding a 5 axis table to the mill is probably more than a year out, so I'm getting way ahead of myself. However, I figured I'd ask anyway since it would save me a bunch of researching time if somebody knew off the top of their head that a company like Tsudakoma or whoever is friendly to people retrofitting tables to different machines.

TR110 on ebay: https://web.archive.org/web/20231221222 ... 6320555851

China table: https://web.archive.org/web/20231221223 ... 6221898049

Best Regards,
Peter

Moray

Post by Moray » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:07 pm

Most major machine manufacturer's will be pretty reluctant to give out that kind of information.
You would likely have to reverse engineer it.

If you want to consider Chinese, I'd have a search on Alibaba, and contact potential suppliers for more information.
My main lathe came via Alibaba, but I made sure to have a good conversation with the supplier before purchasing.