trying to get Kogna and PC to communicate

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Hytek

trying to get Kogna and PC to communicate

Post by Hytek » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:56 am

I have gone through the forums and such and I don't believe the issue (most likely me) I have has been addressed before. Sorry if it was and I missed it.

I have a capable PC, fresh install of Windows 10 professional, all up to date. Connecting the Kogna board for the first time emits a beep, no 'found new hardware' pop up. No biggie, this happens. Manually install the drivers and all seems good so far. Windows recognizes the Kogna and labels it 'USB serial port (com 4)' in device manager, and in Bluetooth & other devices it lists it as 'FT232R USB UART'.

Connected the supplied ethernet cable and proceeded to manually config. And nothing, well not exactly. Windows recognizes there is some sort of activity and shows it as an unidentified network. In device menu it cycles between unidentified network and Network cable unplugged. I have tried 3 different ethernet cables, 3 or 4 different USB cables, reinstalled everything twice incase I missed something there. Pinging shows packages sent out but no reply. Tera Term just times out.

I have no doubt this is something I'm doing/not doing. Networking isn't my forte.

Thanks Mick

TomKerekes

Re: trying to get Kogna and PC to communicate

Post by TomKerekes » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:19 pm

Hi Mick,

The first step would be to get the Virtual Com Port working. Have you performed the steps described here?

What happens?

Note: if cycling power by unplugging the USB then the Com port will be reset and TeraTerm will need to reconnect to it to work. Instead cycle power by removing the USB jumper leaving the USB connected.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Hytek

Post by Hytek » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:11 am

Hi Tom,

yes I have setup the serial port as per the instructions. The 'I' command displays

Requested IP Address 0.0.0.0
Assigned IP Address 255.255.255.255

If I do nothing in Tera Term it continuously writes 'DHCP Timed Out'

To cycle the power I have been cycling the PC itself

Thanks, Mick

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:42 am

If Kogna is connected directly to the PC (instead of a router) then there will be no router to assign IP Addresses using DHCP. You will need to set the IP Address in Kogna and the PC manually.

Recommended addresses for the PC and Kogna are 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11

For instructions on how to set addresses see here.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Hytek

Post by Hytek » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:15 am

double checked and the IP's are set correctly (PC- 10, Kogna- 11). After checking I depowered the Kogna using the jumper method, then did the PC as normal.
I did notice Tera Term requests an IP of 0.0.0.0 persistently. Not sure if this is an issue.

Does the Kogna come pre-flashed? Also I should probably mention at this stage I have left the Konnect board disconnected. Just wanted to keep thing simple and do them one at a time

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:37 am

double checked and the IP's are set correctly (PC- 10, Kogna- 11)
I assume you mean 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11?

After checking I depowered the Kogna using the jumper method, then did the PC as normal.
How did you check? There shouldn't be any need to cycle power on the PC.

You can check the PC's IP address by using a Windows CMD prompt and entering "ipconfig"

I did notice Tera Term requests an IP of 0.0.0.0 persistently. Not sure if this is an issue.
That would indicate you did not set the IP Address of Kogna. Did you? Did you enter "I 192.168.0.11" in TeraTerm? What did it respond?

Does the Kogna come pre-flashed?
yes

Also I should probably mention at this stage I have left the Konnect board disconnected. Just wanted to keep thing simple and do them one at a time
Yes. That is a good idea.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Hytek

Post by Hytek » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:02 am

Finally! I got it. Well...You got it. I now have a connection, also verified by 'version' etc. in Kmotion. Thanks for that Tom

What would you suggest I do next? As stated pre-purchase this side of things is kinda new to me

Also, I keep forgetting to ask. Is there a preferred connector to use for the Konnect board?

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:33 pm

Great news!

Maybe try to configure and move a motor? What are you trying to do?

JP4 or JP6 can be used for Konnect. JP6 has PWM outputs so if those are needed use JP4.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Hytek

Post by Hytek » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:27 pm

Yes it is great news. And thank you very much for that.

At the moment I am trying to figure out what pins I need for what functions. To clarify, over and above getting 2 axis and a spindle with encoder working. I also need to allow for closed loop setup from the DYN4's, apron controls (2 MPGs, speed override controls, a few buttons and a joystick which I believe is for jogging). As well as controlling lube pumps (x2), headstock oil monitoring, a heat exchanger, door opener and lighting.

A number of these only require an output to control a relay. I want to avoid populating pins I need elsewhere. Similar to your mention of JP4 and JP6, they will both connect to the Konnect but 1 option will use up alternative type of output. A little bit of planning goes a long way.

I am assuming all my servo related wiring will go direct to the Kogna board?

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:43 pm

Do you want to use the DYN4s in Torque or velocity mode? If so connect to Kogna's Analog Ouputs and have quadrature encoder feedback these would both connect to Kogna JP8.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.