trying to get Kogna and PC to communicate

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Hytek

Re: trying to get Kogna and PC to communicate

Post by Hytek » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:10 am

For my application I will use the DYN4s in position mode with puls/dir control. I want to use the encoder out to the Kogna for better accuracy rather that the brains of the system only relying on the alarm output. Hope I'm explaining this right.

DMM Tech. only has the wiring for Kflop, but I'm sure this will translate to the Kogna easy enough.
Screenshot_61.png
A couple of things I keep forgetting to ask, just trying to get my head around all of this.
Can the outputs on the Konnect board be software triggered or are they only activated by a corresponding input pin? Pretty sure they can be software triggered, better to ask than assume tho.

Do you have a breakout board to convert the Kogna from ribbon cable to something like screw terminals? Intergrading from ribbon cable to other types of connectors gets a little tricky/untidy

TomKerekes

Re: trying to get Kogna and PC to communicate

Post by TomKerekes » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:48 pm

Hi Mick,

That wiring would work but since Kogna has 5V differential drivers and receivers it would be better to use those instead. See here.

The first 12 of Kogna's Step/Dir Outputs can be directed to Differential Outputs on JP10 and JP14

KognaStepDirOptions[1].png

Select Differential on the Configuration Screen

Differential.png

Encoder inputs 8 through 19 are connected to Differential receiver inputs on JP8 or JP14. See here.

KognaEncoderDiagram[1].png

Can the outputs on the Konnect board be software triggered or are they only activated by a corresponding input pin? Pretty sure they can be software triggered, better to ask than assume tho.
Yes they are controlled by software

Do you have a breakout board to convert the Kogna from ribbon cable to something like screw terminals? Intergrading from ribbon cable to other types of connectors gets a little tricky/untidy
No but there are many 3rd party breakout boards. Winford is a good source. Such as this and this.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.