Using Encoders 0 to 3 with KSTEP

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

McScotty

Using Encoders 0 to 3 with KSTEP

Post by McScotty » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi Tom,

when KSTEP is connected, can I use encoders 0 to 3 by muxing them to KFLOP JP4 by

PGAW(ENC_NOISE_FILTER_ADD) = ENC_0_3_JP4 + ENC_NOISE_FILTER_DEFAULT_VAL;

I have a lathe with 2 steppers in closed loop mode and I use encoder 4 for X, encoder 6 for Z and encoder 7 for spindle feedback (KFLOP JP5). I want to connect a MPG and maybe other devices with quadrature signals. Can I also mux encoders 0 - 3 to KFLOP JP4 an use them instead of using encoders 4 to 7? I placed the PGAW command in my init program and it compiled. But when I look at the axes screen in kmotion, POS and DEST values for axis 0 and 2 show up, so I´m sceptic, if encoders inputs 0-3 really can be used. Is there a way?

Best regards
Thomas

TomKerekes

Re: Using Encoders 0 to 3 with KSTEP

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Hi Thomas,
Can I also mux encoders 0 - 3 to KFLOP JP4 an use them instead of using encoders 4 to 7?
Yes

I placed the PGAW command in my init program and it compiled.
That should not compile it needs to be FPGAW. It also needs to be downloaded and executed to have any effect.

But when I look at the axes screen in kmotion, POS and DEST values for axis 0 and 2 show up, so I´m sceptic
What do you mean "show up"? Change? What is connected where and what are you doing?
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

McScotty

Post by McScotty » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi Tom,

If I understand the axis status screen correctly, then the lines are channels # 0 - # 7. If a channel has an assigned encoder input, its measured value appears in the position field of the assigned channel. Currently I have entered the encoder input # 4 for channel # 0. When I move the encoder, the position value for axis # 0 changes. At the same time, the pos value for axis 4 also changes. My question: If I multiplex encoders # 0 - # 3 to JP4, where in the axis status screen would the measured value from encoder # 0, for example, appear? The position field of axis # 0 would be the regular place, but this field is already occupied with the measured figures of encoder # 4, which is assigned to axis #0. Will in this case the measured value of encoder #0 not be displayed, as long as I do not assign this encoder to another axis?
Best regards
Thomas

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi Thomas,
If I understand the axis status screen correctly, then the lines are channels # 0 - # 7. If a channel has an assigned encoder input, its measured value appears in the position field of the assigned channel. Currently I have entered the encoder input # 4 for channel # 0. When I move the encoder, the position value for axis # 0 changes. At the same time, the pos value for axis 4 also changes.
This is because both KFLOP Axis #0 and 4 are both configured to use encoder input #4. The 0-7 rows on the Axis Screen correspond to the KFLOP Axis channels, not encoder input channels.

My question: If I multiplex encoders # 0 - # 3 to JP4, where in the axis status screen would the measured value from encoder # 0, for example, appear?
As the Position of the Axis which is configured to use Encoder #0

You might read this.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.