Limit Switch ZAP, board dead?

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

BattyZ

Limit Switch ZAP, board dead?

Post by BattyZ » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:41 pm

Hello,

I was chumming along today, trying to make a custom post processor for a 5 axis head. The program was running code and I was away from the machine. When I came back the machine had froze in it's position, the 5 axis head tilted at a good angle, and the board was dead. The wires were quite tight and being still in prototype stage I did not have the best wire management. After examining the board, R11 looks blown for JP7. I imagine one of my limit switches shorted back to the board. See pictures. The board will not power up via molex or 5v usb w/ jumper.

Is this a fatal flaw? Can I attempt to resolder in the blown resistor? I know I should have the Konnect board to opto isolate and will be ordering one. Just want to know if there is something I can try before restarting with a new KFLOP. Also did this zap go further upstream as well?

Thanks in advance,
Batty
20210907_105344.jpg
20210907_105332.jpg

TomKerekes

Re: Limit Switch ZAP, board dead?

Post by TomKerekes » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi Batty,

Sorry to hear that. A blown R11 shouldn't cause the board not to boot only JP7 IO problems so likely other problems. We don't find it cost effective to repair KFLOPs. Try to figure out what happened or it will likely happen again.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

BattyZ

Post by BattyZ » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:25 pm

I am fairly positive it was the B-head limit switch shorting or it getting wires crossed with my DC spindle. My current plan is to fully redo my cabinet and the head wiring. Separate, floating strain reliefs for the rotating part of the head. Redo the electrical cabinet as well. The big change will be adding the Konnect to protect everything. If this was a short or DC overload, the Konnect would have just taken out the involved section or would have been fine till the wires melted?

I know this could have been fully prevented. Had I took more care in my prototype wiring setup. Just wanted to put this out there for people on the verge of getting the Konnect.

I can't trade my blown board in for a discount or shirt or something....can I? lol

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:32 pm

Hi Batty,

Applying high voltage or current to a Konnect IO can still damage the Konnect IO but should be limited to that IO as all IO are independently opto isolated.

No sorry the damaged board is of no use to us. You can use it toward free support though :)
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.