Is KFLOP suitable for Mach4 with Linear encoders and AC Servos with Step/Direction inputs?

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

RogerFroud

Is KFLOP suitable for Mach4 with Linear encoders and AC Servos with Step/Direction inputs?

Post by RogerFroud » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:49 am

This is my first time here, so I hope I've posted this in the right place.

My system is as follows...

Mach4 which currently uses an Ethernet Smoothstepper to drive the AC Servos.
SureServo AC Servos resolving to 1 micron up to 3000mm/min using differential Step/Direction inputs.

I'm currently using Mach 4 with backlash compensation, which doesn't work correctly in my opinion.

My machine has Newall Linear scales fitted on all three axes but I've never been able to use them. It seems crazy to have them and not to be able to take advantage of the additional accuracy they will offer. However, the only options I've seen so far are outrageously expensive, but KFLOP may just provide the answer.

So the key questions are these...

1) Can I use the 1 micron Linear scales with the KFLOP controller?
2) Will it output the necessary Step/Direction outputs?
3) Will it cope with the very high resolution at 3000mm/min, and is there enough bandwidth on the USB2 connector so service that?
4) What breakout boards do you have to enable the unit to be hooked up to my existing wiring?
5) My spindle uses an analog 0-10V output. Do you have a way of connecting that up?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
I've attached a couple of photos to show the kind of machine and setup I've got. It's a very capable metal cutting mill, but it's potential is being limited by the motion controller.
Attachments
20140628_113053.jpg
DSCN1857.JPG

TomKerekes

Re: Is KFLOP suitable for Mach4 with Linear encoders and AC Servos with Step/Direction inputs?

Post by TomKerekes » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:43 pm

Can I use the 1 micron Linear scales with the KFLOP controller?
Yes you should be able to. See here for a description of KFLOP's closed loop Step/Direction mode.

2) Will it output the necessary Step/Direction outputs?
To get differential Step/Dir signals you can add 3rd party differential drivers such as this to convert KFLOP's 3.3V LVTTL signals to 5V differential.

Will it cope with the very high resolution at 3000mm/min, and is there enough bandwidth on the USB2 connector so service that?
KFLOP encoder inputs count at 1 million quadrature counts/second. At 1um resolution that is 60000 mm/min. It should not be a problem.

What breakout boards do you have to enable the unit to be hooked up to my existing wiring?
You would need to change your wiring. You could use our Kanalog Option to add differential encoder inputs, +/-10V Analog outputs, and other IO.

My spindle uses an analog 0-10V output. Do you have a way of connecting that up?
As stated Kanalog provides +/-10V Analog Outputs.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

RogerFroud

Re: Is KFLOP suitable for Mach4 with Linear encoders and AC Servos with Step/Direction inputs?

Post by RogerFroud » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am

Thanks for that, this looks very promising.

I've framed the same questions to Mach, and they tell me that there isn't a plugin for the KFLOP controller. They say that's a pity because they really like your board.

Could you confirm that's the case, or are they just unaware that you have a plugin for it? If you don't, are you likely to write one, because I'd really like to buy this board from you. As far as I can see, there's nothing else on the market that can handle the Linear encoders unless you're prepared to pay many times the price of your board.

Roger

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi Roger,

No we don't have a Plugin for Mach4. Not sure if or when we may have one.

Consider using our free KMotionCNC. You should also benefit from better trajectory planning and performance.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

RogerFroud

Post by RogerFroud » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:42 pm

That's a real shame because I'm sure you'll sell more KFLOP motion controllers if you can use it with Mach4.

If you can twist someone's arm to write a plugin, I'll be your first customer. I'm more than willing to work with you to test it and help to get it right.

You had one for Mach3, and Mach4 is now a mature product that isn't going to change massively. Seeing what your company is capable of, I wouldn't imagine it to be a huge job. The basic framework is already written for Mach3, so it makes sense to do the same for Mach4. I know you would rather sell the KMotionCNC software, but most people who use Mach4 want to carry on using it.

I really like Mach4, it's customisable and I've made a lot of changes to the look and feel of it to make it work how I want it to. No offence, but your KMotionCNC looks a bit basic by comparison. It's not something I'd be interested in using, even though it would allow me to use the Linear Encoders.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi Roger,

We'll keep that in mind.

btw KMotionCNC is free and customizable.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

RogerFroud

Post by RogerFroud » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:30 pm

Ok, maybe I'll take a look at KMotionCNC. At first glance the user interface looks a mess to my eyes, but maybe it's better than it looks. I've looked at quite a few forum posts from different machining sites, and people seem to think it works well. If it can be customised then I can probably make it more like I need.
Being able to use my Linear scales would certainly be a big advantage. It's just a shame you don't have a Mach4 plugin, because I'd buy it tomorrow.

RogerFroud

Post by RogerFroud » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:32 am

Just to clarify one thing. Although my SureServo AC Servos can use +/-10V analog signals, they also take Step/Direction pulses which is what I'm currently using. Can KFLOP use the Step/Direction when using the Linear Encoder feedback? My guess is that it needs to command the velocity, so that would need the Analog input. The reason I ask this is because it simplifies the interface and I could make my own breakout board that allowed me to plug the encoders directly into the board rather than having to have flying leads which is messy.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi Roger,

KFLOP can do closed loop Step/Direction. See here.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

RogerFroud

Post by RogerFroud » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks for that, it looks like it will work really well with my SureServo AC Servos then.

Are there any schematics available for your breakout boards? It's much easier to interface a system if you know the electronic circuit you're connecting to.

I've downloaded KMotionCNC and had a play with it. To be perfectly honest, it's pretty horrible compared to Mach4.

Are there alternative screen sets? I need 4-axes and I don't think I could live with the way the jog buttons are done. That's cluttered and chaotic in my opinion, and would be even worse with a 4th axis. I think something much simpler and more compact would be better, giving a cleaner look.

There doesn't seem to be a way to home the machine, and I can't see any configuration controls within KMotionCNC. Is that all set up separately and compiled into the application?

It would be so much easier to just use Mach4 and use a plugin. Everything is already exactly how I like it, and heaven knows how much time it would take to modify this to make it palatable. You only have to do it once, and then everyone with Mach4 can use it. Your motion controller is so much better than the ESS I currently use.