KFLOP with linear encoder

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

MattiaGrassi93

KFLOP with linear encoder

Post by MattiaGrassi93 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi everyone :D
I'm thinking about buying the Kflop controller for my system. I need to use linear encoder on stepper motor system for closed loop operation (because I need to have really small tollerancies on my system, about 1 um) on a Optimum bf20 machine (modified, with c3 ballscrews and precision linear guides). Is it possible? Do you know where I can find any kind of tutorial or example or something that may be usefull? I red something and I saw that Kflop only support linear encoder with TTL output so I'm going to buy one soon. Is there any other kind of hardware I may need?
I'm not sure if this is the right section so, if not, feel free to move the topic.

Thank you in advance.

TomKerekes

Re: KFLOP with linear encoder

Post by TomKerekes » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi MattiaGrassi93,

1um is of course extremely difficult to achieve. Linear Scales only correct for some mechanical errors. Is speed also important?

What type of Stepper Drivers are you using?

Try to get encoders with differential outputs. Differential outputs can be connected to differential inputs or single ended inputs. See here for more info.

Here is an article on closed loop Step/Dir mode. Note the example is using rotary encoder feedback but linear scale encoder feedback is similar just with more mechanics in the control loop.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.