Conversational Programming Program

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Moray

Conversational Programming Program

Post by Moray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:10 pm

So after a hectic summer, and now a few weeks of doing very little to recover, I've been getting back into my conversational program developing.

Since the last release in March, the following changes have been made-

Code: Select all

2018/09/02
Tool diameter display now updates after change of units in settings
Tool table is now checked for updates, and automatically reloads

Sometime over summer
Zero tool diameter now checked for
Added tool change code function
Pocket with ramp in option added

2018/03/15
ToolId now functional for canned cycles
Gcode start/end/toolchange textboxes added and now functional
It's worth noting this is very much in Alpha developing stage, so please check any code generated before running it on a real machine.
The basic functionality works (key bit I definitely still need to add is the ability to edit an Operation already added to the Operation list), and it will let you create Drill Cycles in various patterns, Surface, and Pocket (currently only with a ramp in move).

Zip file includes the .Exe, a settings file (both which you can just extract to a suitable location), along with an example tool file if you've not got KMotionCNC installed. You'll need to go into the Settings tab, and point towards whatever tool file you'd like to use. This program only reads the tool file, it does not edit it.

I'm looking for any feedback, and suggestions on general layout. The current layout is very much just thrown together with things roughly grouped, but I am struggling for how to arrange things.

My plan is to gradually develop the program as time allows, and I have a rough idea of what time will be prioritised, but I'm always keen for opinions on what should be added next. Although I'd like to devote some time to working on some probing routines over the next couple weeks, as that's where my own personal need currently lies!
Attachments
KMoConCo_180907.zip
(27.27 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

TomKerekes

Re: Conversational Programming Program

Post by TomKerekes » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi Moray,

Looks nice to me.
Pocket.png

I did seem to find an issue with the "pocket". I think there is a missing G1 and maybe Feedrate:
MissingG1.png

Otherwise it runs for me:
PocketGView.png
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Moray

Post by Moray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:46 pm

I knew there was something missing!

In my defence, I done the bulk of the coding for the pocket routine back in March (working out ramp ins in reverse and entry points took me a good few evenings to get right!), and then it got shelved over the summer.
That's now top of the list to fix.

Moray

Post by Moray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Having just dug into the code, I've realised why I hadn't got as far as adding the feedrate. I'd not finished the CW code.

Fixed version is attached, although it's not perfect as after retracting to clearance Z from the final pass, it goes straight to the start of the next lead-in move, rather than moving then plunging down to the start of the lead-in. I'll add it to the fix list.
Attachments
KMoConCo_180907_pocketFix.zip
(27.39 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

tmday7

Post by tmday7 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:40 am

Hi Moray,
Didn't know you had started a thread for this. Are you still interested in developing it when you can or?

Troy

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Troy,

Moray started a new Thread and is looking for interest, help, testing.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Moray

Post by Moray » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 pm

tmday7 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:40 am
Hi Moray,
Didn't know you had started a thread for this. Are you still interested in developing it when you can or?

Troy
Yes I am.
As Tom has mentioned, I've been working on probing, as that's what's currently top of my own needs.
My general todo list is to get probing calibration added/working (a substantial amount of daydreaming time has been spent the past few days thinking how best to implement this - I've already got the basic functionality to handle the probe move direction, I'm just trying to decide on the best way to implement creating the calibration, and accessing it).
Get probing working on my mill (I need to add the extra wiring/probe connection).
Then get back to conversational, although with all this probing, it has got me thinking about a program to help with tool setup!

My general plans for adding to conversational are -
Expanding the lead-in option (I've only got ramp in working so far, but would like to at least add spiral in)
Improve stepover moves (it just uses a basic stepover across at the moment, but I'd like to add the option for a S-type move to the next stepover).
Add more shapes to pocketing.
Add profiling.
Oh, and add the ability to save/load operation sequences.
Plus make it look a bit better!

If you've got any thoughts on specific features, let me know and I'll add them to my daydreaming time to consider how to implement them.

tmday7

Post by tmday7 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi Moray,
I see iam not the only one daydreaming about my machine tool improvements. :) The direction your taking the software now looks good. About the only improvement i see now would be to make the GUI a little larger, maybe easier for touch screens and navigating mouse clicks.

Troy

Moray

Post by Moray » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 am

The GUI is on the list, I'm just not sure where though.
I've got ideas, but I don't really want to spend much time on it until I know exactly what's needed, hence the current layout.

My aim is for it to be touchscreen friendly, as I'll be using it on a touchscreen. I'm hoping to have it when you touch a value, it opens up a small onscreen keypad (possibly even with calculator functionality), but that's definitely still on the 'well in the future' list!

tmday7

Post by tmday7 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 am

For what its worth,I just put an ELO touchscreen on my lathe. When you touch the screen the software has a small flyout/button on the side of screen that will open a keyboard. Keep me posted when your ready for further help on testing and such.

Thanks,
Troy