Shizouka ST-N Matchmaker retrofit

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Moray

Shizouka ST-N Matchmaker retrofit

Post by Moray » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:31 pm

This mill has been sat in my workshop since before I bought the Denford Cyclone lathe, but it kept getting bumped down the roundtuit list, as other machines have taken priority. I think since this machine got rolled into place, a Denford Novamill has been and gone (bought as I needed to make tool holders for the Cyclone, and it happened to turn up at a reasonable price just as I was looking), my little 3040 based digitising machine has been built, and I've bought and retrofitted a Denford Triac mill.

However, as I do various repair work, something capable of handling big lumps of metal is needed, and I've got a plan for a replacement for my Denford Cyclone that will need a big mill to make, so this has finally reached the top of the Roundtuit list.
head-on_8542002797_o_resize.jpg
It's an old Matchmaker CNC conversion that was based on a Shizouka ST-N mill. Think a bit bigger than Bridgeport size, but far sturdier Japanese construction!
It originally left Matchmaker as a stepper driven machine, but at some point in it's history, it got retrofitted with a Heidenhain servo system. The previous owner bought it solely to get the Heidenhain system off it for spares for the Interacts that he ran (or at least that his son ran, as he personally thought they were rubbish!), so I bought the mill as it stands for a bit over scrap value.

Over the years I've had it, I have managed to repair the auto-lube system (needed a new filter, a couple corroded pipes replaced, along with a few blocked metering valves), and get new wiring in for the Summit "one arm bandit" toolchanger pneumatics, and the limit switches. The spindle motor has also been off to free-off the corroded and seized vari-speed system.

So as a few Dynomotion boards turned up yesterday, I thought I'd start a thread about the retrofit.

cnytbsk

Re: Shizouka ST-N Matchmaker retrofit

Post by cnytbsk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:03 am

hello moray;

Nice project and good luck..
Royal Tech.

Moray

Post by Moray » Mon May 04, 2020 10:55 pm

For reasons I won't go into right now, this is now the current priority project, as I need a bigger mill.

Servos are in the process of being ordered. Three 1.2kw 3000 RPM for the main axes (the originals were 1kw SEM DC brushed, and I've been advised 110frame 1.2KW will be a better match than 1KW 90 frame), and one 400W with 12:1 reduction gearbox for the knee.

I'm currently deciding on what board combination to use.

All the new servo drives can operate in either +/-10V or pulsed (Step/Dir, Quadrature, or CW/CCW).
VFD for the spindle needs 0-10V.
There is also a stepper motor to control the varispeed pulley for the spindle, which will need a step/dir output.

I'd like to add a glass scale to the knee for positioning (and to get indexing marks every 50mm to avoid having to move it all the way down to a home switch).
MPG for jogging.
SSO/FRO pots.

That puts requirements at-
5 encoder inputs
1 0-10V output (which could possibly be done via Modbus instead)
2 Analogue inputs
1 step/dir output
Then I either need 4 +/-10V outputs, or 4 step/dir outputs.
And I'd like to keep a step/dir available for a future A-axis.

I'm keen to avoid running the servos via +/-10V, to avoid tuning, however I'm also aware of the KFlops encoder and step/dir conflicts, so +/-10V may be the more practical option. (Tom, can I suggest a KFlop replacement that allows 8 encoders and 8 step/dirs? And Ethernet? :) )

I'm currently considering Kanalog, to get access to differential encoder inputs, and analogue inputs.
I can add one of my JP5 split out boards to get up to 4 differential step/dir outputs, at the sacrifice of 4 encoders inputs, which means a shortage of step/dir/encoder inputs/outputs, so two things would have to use +/-10V

The other option is a total custom board to maximise differential encoder/step/dirs, so I can run 5 encoder inputs, and get 6 step/dir outputs.
Then add a KNozz for the 0-10V output, and two analogue inputs.

At the moment, I'm considering just going for the Kanalog option for quickness, as I have all the bits needed on hand, however the custom board option is something I'd like for the next project..

wrinkols

Post by wrinkols » Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 pm

I'm getting ready to start a conversion to an AN-S. Would you mind telling me which servos you ordered? I'm currently looking at my options and trying to decide what makes sense.

Moray

Post by Moray » Thu May 21, 2020 11:08 pm

wrinkols wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:57 pm
I'm getting ready to start a conversion to an AN-S. Would you mind telling me which servos you ordered? I'm currently looking at my options and trying to decide what makes sense.
I've ordered Lichuan 1.2kw servos with matching A4 drives.
They sell on Aliexpress, however you can get a better deal through Alibaba.
I'm getting them for $250 per set, with 5m cables, and braking resistors

I've not got them yet, as I also ordered a 400W servo set with a 16:1 reduction gearbox for the knee, and the gearbox takes 15-20 days to custom make.

I've got no idea how they're going to perform, but their older drive is a pretty common drive, so I'm hoping the new drive will be better. The newer drive certainly gives plenty of control options.

I'm hoping I'll have them within the next couple of weeks, but I've got plenty other tasks to get done on the mill to keep me busy.