Denford Cyclone Lathe

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Moray

Denford Cyclone Lathe

Post by Moray » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:01 pm

This was the first machine I ever fitted a KFlop too, and although initially running it on Mach3 for the first couple years (my previous lathe ran Mach3 with a SmoothStepper), after yet another crash where Mach sent the unlocked and spinning tool turret into the still spinning spindle, I finally jumped to KMotionCNC. Since moving to KMCNC, the only crashes have been operator error :roll:
new-toy_9861412773_o_resize.jpg
I retrofitted it with a KFlop+Kanalog combo, Kinco servos, and added a Click PLC to handle the turret (the Konnect board didn't exist when this was retrofitted, so a PLC was the easiest option).
wiring-tidied_10679267344_o_resize.jpg
Cable trunking helps to hide a multitude of sins!

I thought I had more photos, but can't currently find them, but here's a video of the turret working-

The only thing it's had done since the original retrofit and move to KMCNC, is I finally created a custom screen a few months ago to show a few key statuses-
KMCNC_grab.png

TomKerekes

Re: Denford Cyclone Lathe

Post by TomKerekes » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi Moray,

Nice to finally see your machine. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Moray

Post by Moray » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:31 pm

Found a couple more photos.
This is the original electrical cabinet-
electrics-as-delivered_9861320395_o_resize.jpg
It originally used a Baldor Eurostep controller with Parker stepper drivers (all rack mounted), along with a custom control card for handling the tool turret.

As part of my retrofit, I replaced the stepper motors with a 700W servo on the Z axis, and a 400W servo on the X axis.

And my comment in my first post about cable trunking hiding a multitude of sins, this was a photo nearing completion, but prior to everything being hidden back in the trunking -
getting-tidier_10500394085_o_resize.jpg
Creating tidy wiring is an artform, which is why I've come to rely on making sure to use large trunking in any new control boxes I've built!

turbothis

Post by turbothis » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 pm

looks nice!