motor squealing kstep + kstep via jp26

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

a_j_p

motor squealing kstep + kstep via jp26

Post by a_j_p » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:29 pm

So I have a Kflop + 2 KSteps to drive a pick and place robot. There is an X/Y table for motion (running 3 motors; y axis is gantry) and 4 vertical actuators to run Z,A,B,C independently for pick/place 4 items at a time. I built the first part (X/Y and just one vertical actuator Z) which worked well, but then other priorities kept me from finishing.

Today I started up again to finish, and wired in a 2nd vertical actuator for the A axis on KMotionCNC. I have 2 problems now...

1.) I cannot seem to figure out what the output channel for the 2nd Kstep (I am running the 2nd Kstep through JP26). The first 4 motors run on output channels 8-11, but 12-15 for the next motors don't seem to do anything for me for the next set of motors.

2.) To just double check the new motors worked, I plugged one of them into the first Kstep (the original Z axis), but now I get a super loud squealing out of the motor when initialized and the motor will not move... I disconnected that motor and re-connected the original Z axis motor, but it too now squeals and will not move... I have no idea what happened and verified (several times actually) that motor coils were connected; 1 across the A terminals and 1 across the B terminals... Did I ruin the KSTEP somehow doing this?

TomKerekes

Re: motor squealing kstep + kstep via jp26

Post by TomKerekes » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:00 am

Hi a_j_p,
I cannot seem to figure out what the output channel for the 2nd Kstep (I am running the 2nd Kstep through JP26). The first 4 motors run on output channels 8-11, but 12-15 for the next motors don't seem to do anything for me for the next set of motors.
That should work. Did you have the 2 J6 terminals wired together as shown here?. Did the motor have holding torque?
To just double check the new motors worked, I plugged one of them into the first Kstep (the original Z axis), but now I get a super loud squealing out of the motor when initialized and the motor will not move... I disconnected that motor and re-connected the original Z axis motor, but it too now squeals and will not move... I have no idea what happened and verified (several times actually) that motor coils were connected; 1 across the A terminals and 1 across the B terminals... Did I ruin the KSTEP somehow doing this?
I don't know. Logically if it worked before but not now something must have changed or been damaged. You might check with an ohm meter that the new motor doesn't have a short in the motor or its wiring. Are both motors the same type? How was +5V being supplied? How was motor power supplied? Were all the current jumpers set properly for your motors?
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

a_j_p

Re: motor squealing kstep + kstep via jp26

Post by a_j_p » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:04 pm

That should work. Did you have the 2 J6 terminals wired together as shown here?. Did the motor have holding torque?
No I did not have the wiring like you show there - thank you. After doing this I can now control motors on outputs 12-15. (This is a tough project for me to intermittently do on the backburner because it is real easy to forget details like that).

I don't know. Logically if it worked before but not now something must have changed or been damaged. You might check with an ohm meter that the new motor doesn't have a short in the motor or its wiring. Are both motors the same type? How was +5V being supplied? How was motor power supplied? Were all the current jumpers set properly for your motors?
5V is supplied to the board via USB only at the moment. There are 2 24V supplies in the cabinet, one for each KSTEP (it was easier/cheaper to buy 2 to cover the needed current). Multi-Meter shows both motors have no short and yes, both motors are exactly the same. Jumpers are set on the Kstep correctly for these motors and power supplies.

Since I have many of these identical cheap stepper/linear actuators here, I tried connecting of few new ones... What I have found is that all of the motors are fine (including the ones from yesterday) and the wiring is as expected. But regardless I still get squealing when any of them is connected to output 11... As this was not the case before messing with things yesterday, I guess I have to chalk this up to me making a mistake and damaging something on the Kstep somehow... For now, as I only need to control 7 motors, I can get by without further issues - as long as I don't repeat whatever mistake again.

Thanks Tom.