A couple screen editor quirks

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

Moray

A couple screen editor quirks

Post by Moray » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm just working on a custom screen for my lathe, and have a noticed a couple minor issues

1) Some buttons (I think all dedicated buttons, non-dedicated buttons seem to be ok), changing the text doesn't change what is shown on the button. I noticed it on the Zero/Set buttons, but having tested a couple different buttons, the same issue applies to buttonsn with a dedicated function.
The same applies regarding colours. I wanted to change the entire background of the E-Stop button, but it won't let me.

2) Are the buttons now making use of the User Button configurations within the KMotionCNC Tool Setup screen now?
I seem to remember Tom mentioning they didn't when I was configuring my Mill, but I've just noticed they now change the text shown on buttons 0-7, and the corresponding KMCNC action will run when clicked. If I set a button action in the screen editor and KMCNC action, what will happen?

Moray

Re: A couple screen editor quirks

Post by Moray » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 pm

3) Could you possibly mention somewhere that when using a Lathe, X and Z jog buttons are automatically swapped?
(Yes! I spent ages earlier swapping them, only to load the custom screen onto the lathe and discover things weren't moving in the expected directions!)

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi Moray,

Sorry it is difficult to have all the old legacy User Button functionality remain compatible with the new Screen Editor functionality.
Some buttons (I think all dedicated buttons, non-dedicated buttons seem to be ok), changing the text doesn't change what is shown on the button. I noticed it on the Zero/Set buttons, but having tested a couple different buttons, the same issue applies to buttons with a dedicated function.
If you change the Control Style to "Button" it should allow you to change text and foreground/background colors
The same applies regarding colours. I wanted to change the entire background of the E-Stop button, but it won't let me.
Bitmap buttons are somewhat different. If the image type has alpha (transparency) ie .png then we go through great trouble to blend the Windows Theme 3DFACE color to the background transparent pixels. If the image type doesn't support alpha (*.bmp) then a special gray color is used 0xd8e9ec for transparency.

So currently if you want a fixed background color you will need to change the image itself or the Windows Theme.
Are the buttons now making use of the User Button configurations within the KMotionCNC Tool Setup screen now?
I seem to remember Tom mentioning they didn't when I was configuring my Mill, but I've just noticed they now change the text shown on buttons 0-7, and the corresponding KMCNC action will run when clicked. If I set a button action in the screen editor and KMCNC action, what will happen?
Having the Screen Editor Style blank vs Button should determine whether the Tool Setup dominates the User Button or the Screen Script dominates the control where there is a conflict. The Tool Setup Action will always be performed. Although not recommended, If Actions in both the Tool Setup and the and the Screen Script are specified, both will be performed.

HTH
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

Moray

Post by Moray » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:53 pm

That makes sense.

Is there any kind of reference guide for what the 4 colour settings do?
I'm guessing only certain settings work with certain options, but I couldn't figure them out.

You might want to look at the tab order, as the active textbox doesn't go the way you'd expect i.e. hitting tab after setting the Width, moves back to Y, rather than forward to Height.

Also, is there any chance of LED buttons? I.e. a button where you can set the text, that also has a LED image in a corner that changes depending on the status of a variable.
I have managed to get the desired effect by placing a label associated with the relevant variable and two suitable images on top of the button, but it feels like a bit of a bodge. Plus when you click the button without a KFlop connected, the LED/label gets hidden.

I've attached a screengrab of the current screen, which now shows all the main items I like to see. I've only done this, as I finally had some spare time to update the lathe to the latest version of KMotion, so used it as an opportunity to iron out a couple bugs in the C code, and make a screen with all the key info shown. I just need to remember how to access the Modbus values for the PLC inputs, so I can get the lube level indicator working now.
Attachments
KMCNC_grab.png