Jog Modes

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

tmday7

Jog Modes

Post by tmday7 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Can a checkbox or better yet a button be used to set jog mode? Instead of having the different jog buttons. So one jog button can be Step movement or continuous, depending on the state of Jog Mode button.

Thanks,
Troy

Moray

Re: Jog Modes

Post by Moray » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:39 pm

I'm assuming this is a continuation of your thread over on cnczone.

In which case, have the checkbox (or buttons) set a virtual bit in the KFlop. Then have the C code in the KFlop handle what happens from there.

tmday7

Post by tmday7 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:26 am

Yes it is, thought it would be better to post this here. Make it easier to find and of use to someone else.
What iam working on is a custom USB keyboard to control certain areas of machine without the use of C code.
I almost have my Jog lever switches working but because the step jog move requires a Crtl key to be held, iam having issues. I need to be able to change the mode of my lever/switches from continuous to step. Was going to have a toggle switch act as a Ctrl button but this causes an issue with other keystrokes if user leaves this toggle switch on. Only other option i can come up with is a momentary button that has to be held in, which makes it a little cumbersome to use jog levers.
Attached is pictures of my sort of crude control panel so far.

Troy
Attachments
SBLpanel2.JPG
SBLpanel1.JPG

Moray

Post by Moray » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:58 am

Personally, I'd wire Jog buttons directly to the KFlop, as it'll make them more responsive and give you more options of exactly what they do.

However, I'd also say get an MPG. I rely on the keyboard on my lathe, and although it works, it's no where near as nice as using the MPG I installed on my mill (pic attached). My next iteration of a control panel will likely do away with the axis/step selection switches though, with that functionality moved to buttons in a custom screen set (wiring up the switches was a PITA, and I need to use the screen to enable the MPG anyway, so selecting axis/step size on the screen will be just as easy).
Attachments
IMAG0635_crop.jpg

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Troy,

We are working on some new features for the KMotionCNC Screen Editor to allow Screen Script To do automatic button clicks and keyboard keys. Mark was asking for that regarding having a button do an automatic forward/backward search for the next M6 (tool).

This should allow you to programmatically set the Step Size for screen Jogging/Step moves. As well as push the Step buttons.

I can't think of a means of "scrolling" through the step sizes. But you could select any of the sizes. It looks like your panel has 4 push buttons for the sizes? That should be implemented easier than the scrolling and have the advantage that the Operator wouldn't have to look at the screen to see what to do. If you do need the scrolling we could add a KMotionCNC command to read the current step size selection.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

tmday7

Post by tmday7 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Hay Tom,
Sounds awesome. :) Will be happy to test it when your ready.

Will this new script work like the script you added for checking and unchecking a checkbox? As i would like to do this with the Keyboard Jog button.Unless there is something unsafe by having the Keyboard Jog active all the time when on a certain screen?

Yes , 4 push buttons for my step sizes. Forgot i asked about scrolling threw them with one button. I decided it would be better to have separate buttons for reasons as you pointed out.
The scrolling might be used else where, example: One button can scroll threw each screen within KMCNC- Auto,Manual,Graphics.

Thanks again,
Troy

tmday7

Post by tmday7 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 pm

So with this new feature could a check box or some other means be made to set the jog buttons as step movement?
Troy

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi Troy,
Will this new script work like the script you added for checking and unchecking a checkbox?
Yes
Unless there is something unsafe by having the Keyboard Jog active all the time when on a certain screen?
Well the issue is Windows expects arrow keys and such to move around the screen or an edit control. So there needs to be some way to know what the keyboard key should do.

But I don't think this will be an issue as the new method will allow you to "click" the Appropriate Step Button and not involve the keyboard at all.
The scrolling might be used else where, example: One button can scroll threw each screen within KMCNC- Auto,Manual,Graphics.
That might be possible. Each Screen might have the same button that is configured to go to the next screen. Then the one hardware button can always push the same button to achieve the scrolling effect.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.