Edit Tool Table Issues M6

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

larryjamessmith

Edit Tool Table Issues M6

Post by larryjamessmith » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:46 am

I have encountered an issue when using the tool table edit screen, either when it is initiated from the Tool Setup Screen or initiated using the KmotionCNC screen "edit" control (IDC_EditToolFile) where it issues an "M6" upon saving changes. This causes unnecessary tool changes. In the past my tool changer programs have interacted with the operator and it was easy to just ignore and acknowledge the requested tool change and move on. However, now I am using an automatic tool change program which operates tool bins and touches a probe for tool length before continuing operation. You can understand that this creates a lot of unnecessary activity and can happen when no machine moves are expected. The administrative task of updating the tools before a job forces tool changes...

Is this the intended behavior? Is there perhaps a parameter which can be set to enable/disable this behavior?

If it was not intended, has it been recognized as a bug?

I am using Kmotion 434. If this has not been changed in recent releases can you consider changing it in future?

If no other solution is offered I may have to create my own table editing tool. It might be fun, but I have other things I would prefer to do...

Again, as I have said before, I love your products and appreciate your active support.

On another note, has anyone ever catalogued all the functions, parameters, and constants used throughout Kmotion C programs? As I have gotten deeply into programming I would have found such a guide to be useful. Searching for them currently takes a lot of my programming time, especially if it has been awhile since I last edited code. I envision an Excel spreadsheet listing all symbols, where they are defined, whether they are functions, variables or constants, how they are used and which programs utilize them. This could be a big effort but I might take it on if others have not done so already. Thoughts?

Regards,
Larry

TomKerekes

Re: Edit Tool Table Issues M6

Post by TomKerekes » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:15 am

Hi Larry,

Did you try unchecking M6 on Tool Table Changes?

Variables, functions, and defined are listed and described in KMotionDef.h
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

larryjamessmith

Post by larryjamessmith » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:57 am

Tom,

Wow! I am again amazed by your instant response! Do you happen to be an AI system we have not seen in the news yet?

Yes, the M6 issue is a non-issue. I should have found it by searching better. Thank you, thank you!

Regarding my question regarding a catalogue, yes I include several of your files in pretty much every program:
#include "KMotionDef.h"
#include "PC-DSP.h"
#include "PC.h"
#include "KflopToKMotionCNCFunctions.c"
#include "PC2.c"

I also use a number of C-language libraries when needed for extra math or I/O stuff.

plus my own machine specific parameters:
#include "LSBdef.h"

And, additional functions I have developed:
#include "LSBcommonFuncs.c"

What I generally find time-consuming is searching for a function, variables or other defined when I know what I need but not where to look. The files can be pretty terse sometimes and hard especially for someone who has not yet internalized the system structure and figured out each of the entities which are in communication. I get there eventually but I am sure I miss some useful functions which would be better than the code I ended up with. I may start the index/catalogue I have in mind just to see If I find it worth the effort. If I get really ambitious I might even include standard C functions.... no, that might be a bit too far.

Would you like me to send it to you for your impressions?

Again, Thanks,
Larry

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:22 pm

Hi Larry,

#include "PC-DSP.h"
Is already included by KMotionDef.h so isn't necessary and shouldn't be included again.

#include "PC.h"
not sure where you got that file

#include "PC2.c"
this is the file already compiled into the KFLOP Firmware as the PC Command Table. It is for your reference only and should not be included in your User Program.

One problem with an Index or Catalog is that it must be maintained with any changes. KMotionDef.h is always guaranteed to be what actually is available. But yes if you come up with something that appears to be helpful we would like to review it. You can also add things to the wiki yourself if you wish.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.