Multiple KMotionCNC Machine Configurations

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

a_j_p3

Multiple KMotionCNC Machine Configurations

Post by a_j_p3 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:36 pm

I have not been able to find this info anywhere searching online or in this forum.

I have an existing system using Kflop/KmotionCNC and want to add a second. The two systems will be very different (# of axis, # of limit switches, distance/step, etc. all differ).

Is there a way to have 2 different configurations for KMotionCNC so that I can switch between machines when using my laptop? Even if this requires 2 separate installations, some way to do this without having to change everything in the Tool Setup screen would be great.

Once this new machine is fully setup and ready to go I will transfer the code/settings to a dedicated mini PC, but until then (for initially getting things moving/debugging) I much prefer working from my laptop that I use for everything else.

Thanks

TomKerekes

Re: Multiple KMotionCNC Machine Configurations

Post by TomKerekes » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:13 am

See here.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

a_j_p

Post by a_j_p » Sun May 01, 2022 1:33 pm

Appreciate it

a_j_p3

Post by a_j_p3 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:33 pm

So I tried to follow this but really struggled and I don't know why... I really need some way to have two different KMotionCNC configurations (one 3 axis, one 6 axis, both with different user buttons, etc.) but no matter what did following this I continued to get the same 6 axis window and never was able to get two instances where I could change one without changing the other... At the end of the day, I started trying many things and ultimately KMotion and KMotionCNC stopped working altogether and I had to uninstall/reinstall...

Am I missing something? Or is this somehow different for Windows 10?

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:04 am

Hi,

Sorry you're having trouble.

So did you make 2 copies of the Configuration file and create 2 shortcuts to launch KMotionCNC one to use the first and one to use the 2nd?

Then launch one and set its screen file. Then exit and set the screen file for the other? When they are each launched do they show the corresponding screen?

No Windows Version shouldn't matter.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

a_j_p3

Post by a_j_p3 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:28 am

I did not create 2 shortcuts - I assumed the shortcut would be just for the isolated version. I will try again later this week and get back to you - but always appreciate the quick responses.

a_j_p3

Post by a_j_p3 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 pm

So I think part of my confusion is that the directions listed here (https://www.dynomotion.com/Help/KMotion ... ations.htm) do not say to create a shortcut for KMotionCNC, instead it says (in bold) to create a shortcut for KMotion.exe.

When I do this for KMotion.exe, at least the creating the shortcut and adding the configuration seem to work; as in I don't get errors. But unless I am missing something it doesn't achieve 2 configurations of KMotionCNC...
kmotion exe.jpg
However, your message below says to create 2 shortcuts to launch KMotionCNC and add the configuration files to them, which makes more sense to me... I just can't do it, or am doing something wrong, because if I follow the process on the directions page copied above but with KMotionCNC.exe instead of KMotion.exe
kmotioncnc exe.jpg
I get the following errors:
error.jpg
error2.jpg
I get these errors whether or not I type the below in addition to the target location (it's hard for me to see on the directions page whether or not there are spaces present so I tried several combinations):
- C:\ ... Release\KMotionCNC.exe /c GCodeConfigCNC_2
- C:\ ... Release\KMotionCNC.exe /c "GCodeConfigCNC_2"
- C:\ ... Release\KMotionCNC.exe /c"GCodeConfigCNC_2"
- C:\ ... Release\KMotionCNC.exe/c"GCodeConfigCNC_2"

And I do currently have two configuration files in the C:\KMotion434\KMotion\Data folder
config.jpg

Am I just super confused and doing something really wrong following the directions that are written out? Would it be easier to just install a second instance in another directory? Or what is the best way for me to resolve this?

Thanks again,
-Andrew

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:37 pm

Hi Andrew,
So I think part of my confusion is that the directions listed here (https://www.dynomotion.com/Help/KMotion ... ations.htm) do not say to create a shortcut for KMotionCNC, instead it says (in bold) to create a shortcut for KMotion.exe.
Yes sorry that is confusing. The same method can be performed for KMotion.exe or KMotionCNC.exe. And that example mixes them up.

I just tried it for KMotionCNC.exe Version 4.34 and it seems to work correctly.

I can't see completely what you are doing as part of the Targets are scrolled out of view.

You seem to have an extra subfolder "CNCPlasma" ?? Do you realize this?

Normally these configuration files have .txt extensions to be easy to view. It seems you removed the extension? I suppose that shouldn't matter if everything is consistant.

Two installations shouldn't be necessary, but that should also work.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.

a_j_p3

Post by a_j_p3 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:30 pm

So I'm not positive why the installation went to that folder - I unistalled/reinstalled when I had issues trying this the first time and the reinstallation defaulted to that folder I had created. Everything worked fine so I decided not to mess with it. The errors that I am getting now are the same ones I had before uninstalling.

Here is a copy/paste of the target for KMotionCNC: C:\KMotion434\CNCPlasma\KMotion\Release\KMotionCNC.exe /c "GCodeConfigCNC_2". This causes those errors I posted images of in my previous post.

However here is a copy/paste of the target for KMotion: C:\KMotion434\CNCPlasma\KMotion\Release\KMotion.exe /c "GCodeConfigCNC_2". This works for me. As far as I can tell the only difference between these two is which .exe is being called.

I would assume based on the 'KMotion434' path that I am also on version 4.34 though at first glance I don't see a version written on the GUI anywhere.

TomKerekes

Post by TomKerekes » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:16 pm

My apologies I provided incorrect info. KMotion.exe does not support specifying a configuration file to be used. It always uses GCodeConfig.txt. Any \c option is ignored. Hence no error for it.

Its still not clear if things are consistent.

In a previous post you said
And I do currently have two configuration files in the C:\KMotion434\KMotion\Data folder
and you show the 2 files but I can't see what folder they are in.

but then your last post states:
Here is a copy/paste of the target for KMotionCNC: C:\KMotion434\CNCPlasma\KMotion\Release\KMotionCNC.exe /c "GCodeConfigCNC_2". This causes those errors I posted images of in my previous post.
That's a different folder structure. So KMotionCNC would be expecting to find file in:

C:\KMotion434\CNCPlasma\KMotion\Data

not

C:\KMotion434\KMotion\Data
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.