Upload GCode to KFLOP and run without PC?

Moderators: TomKerekes, dynomotion

a_j_p

Upload GCode to KFLOP and run without PC?

Post by a_j_p » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:11 pm

I thought I came across that this was possible a while back but cannot seem to find it again if so...

Is there a way I can upload a GCode file to the KFLOP and run the program without the PC? I am running long (weeks) tests on a pick and place robot and currently am just using GCode to execute cycles and locations (it was easy for me to implement and others to use but if there is a better way let me know please).

The issue that I have is sometimes the USB connection will randomly disconnect/re-connect and KMotionCNC stops running (while a message pops up 'Read Failed - Auto Disconnect'). I assume this is probably on the PC side, I don't really get it with my Laptop but I do the dedicated mini-PC I bought just to run the robot.

Can I avoid this somehow by putting the code directly onto the KFLOP instead and not worry about the PC? I am not sure how to avoid this happening at least on some level given the duration of these tests otherwise.

I am not fully opposed to writing the test in C code if that somehow would help, but as far as I can tell, even the C code functions will not continue to run if the USB signal gets interrupted.

Thanks

TomKerekes

Re: Upload GCode to KFLOP and run without PC?

Post by TomKerekes » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:33 pm

Hi,

The GCode Interpreter runs on the PC so a PC is required for it. There is a method to save some motion in KFLOPs Motion Buffer then load and re execute it without a PC. But this is limited to a few thousand motion segments. One User did this to dispense a “Happy Birthday” pattern without a PC.

The PC should never disconnect. Maybe the difference is the PC is earth grounded and there is a ground loop? You might try a USB Isolator.

A C Program in KFLOP does not require a PC To be connected to perform motion. But the C Program needs to be loaded somehow. Either with a temporary PC connection or it can be Flashed to KFLOP.
Regards,

Tom Kerekes
Dynomotion, Inc.